The Young Fives class is offered as another option to young 5 year olds who may be age eligible for Kindergarten, but may not be ready academically or socially; and also as an additional option for older 4’s when space permits. This class is not intended to replace Kindergarten and children participating in this class are encouraged to attend Kindergarten the following year. Details include the following:
- Preference for this class will be given to children who are already 5 by September 1, 2019. If space permits, some children who turn 5 between September 2 and December 31, 2019 can be added to the class at the discretion of the Preschool Administrative Staff.
- Teacher/child ratio will be 2:12 due to the many extra hands-on activities included in the class.
- Schedule for the class will be 4 days, Monday through Thursday, 9 AM through 1 PM.
- Tuition will be $275 per month. Eating lunch will be a part of the class’s daily routine, with children bringing their lunch.
- The curriculum used in the classroom will be similar to what is currently being used in our 4’s classes and will be supplemented with additional Language/Pre-Reading and Math curriculum. It will continue to provide a Bible-based, age-appropriate, hands-on approach to learning as we have in our younger classrooms.
- Written curriculum components will include the following:
- CFUMC Preschool Bible Curriculum, supplemented with other Bible resources
- Handwriting Without Tears; Phonemic Awareness for Young Children supplemented with other Language/Pre-Reading resources.
- DLM Early Childhood Program: Under Construction Beginning Math, supplemented with other Math resources.
Social and Emotional Curriculum
- Second Step
- In addition to the curriculum, children will also be provided many practical experiences to offer them the social and behavioral skills they need to be successful in Kindergarten. Hands-on activities will include cooking and science. Extra-curricular activities will include Chapel, music, outdoor play, motor skills, Spanish & a field trip.